Sacred Refuge - Colored Pencil Drawing

"Sacred Refuge" Colored Pencil

The landscape is not merely something I see; it is a means of revealing an inner, spiritual reality. I begin with nature, but I do not attempt to reproduce it literally.


Instead, I use the landscape as raw material for constructing a world shaped by memory, symbolism, color, and emotion. In this drawing, the sacred refuge appears set apart as a place of worship - a creation of the spirit characterized by holiness, peace, and purity of heart.


My approach is influenced by Les Nabis, who understood a work of art not simply as an imitation of the visible world but as a composed surface of color, pattern, and feeling. Like them, I am interested in flattening space, intensifying color, and allowing decorative design to carry emotional and religious meaning.


The example of Sérusier’s The Talisman reinforces my belief that an artist need not imitate the landscape exactly. Nature can become the starting point for a personal language of color, pattern, memory, and purpose.


The objective is not to capture fleeting effects of light and shadow or to replicate changing weather conditions in lavish detail. I have followed that path before, but the results seemed shallow and unfulfilling.


I do not want to rely on rapid-fire decisions made in real time while working on location. I prefer to return to the studio, where ideas can gradually percolate. Through reflection and memory, I can translate my inner feelings in a more deliberate and cerebral way.


Art should transcend literal appearance. It should pursue meaning, authenticity, and spiritual truth. My work is less concerned with naturalistic observation or material description than with discovering symbolic and spiritual meaning within the landscape.


I have long been fascinated by the ancient Egyptian concept of ma’at - the pursuit of truth, balance, harmony, and cosmic order. This ideal resonates with my own desire to transform the disordered landscape into a work of art that expresses the unification of the visual and the invisible.


At its core, this drawing is simply a piece of paper with pencil pigment applied in a particular arrangement. Yet the chaos of the outside world has been reorganized into a composition distinguished by harmony and order.


After spending time immersed in the rugged beauty of southern Utah, I was inspired to put these principles into practice. Sacred Refuge is one example of this approach.


In it, a narrow chasm of greenery becomes more than a geological formation; it becomes a symbolic sanctuary - a place where nature, memory, and spiritual longing converge.


Concealed in that remote desert country, the sanctuary is revered as a sacred refuge. Its most dramatic feature is a towering rock formation resembling the ruins of an ancient temple.


A fiery red pine leans into the composition from the left, its soft-edged foliage glowing in the backlight. The rolling scrub brush is defined by deep shadows that contrast sharply with bright yellow highlights.


Although the shading suggests volume, its larger purpose is decorative and expressive. It organizes the surface into rhythms of color, texture, and light rather than simply reproducing three-dimensional form.


An immortal creek swirls through the canyon, its rolling waves unfurling like folds of cloth. The orange water is sculptural and solid rather than painterly and fluid, giving it a sense of permanence rather than transience.


The ancient age of the canyon creates an illusion of permanence, offering temporary relief from the fear of the unknown. In reality, however, that permanence is only a façade. We must accept that all things are impermanent and ever-changing.


To me, the desert canyon symbolizes resilience, courage, and independence. Its harsh terrain demands agility, perseverance, and intelligence, while its solitude creates space for contemplating what truly matters.


The remote canyon also embodies a severe, untamed beauty. Deep within the chasm’s recesses, the vastness of the world is revealed, reminding us how small and vulnerable we truly are. The canyon becomes a fitting stage for a celebration of the sublime and the divine.


Through this work, I seek to transform the landscape into a visual meditation on solitude, impermanence, and the metaphysical. The sacred refuge is not merely a place I observe; it is a symbolic space in which nature, memory, and spirit can be brought into harmony.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Portrait with Hat - Colored Pencil Drawing

Mountain Wilderness Utah - Colored Pencil Drawing

Lair O' the Bear and Dunafon Castle

Theo in the Wilderness - Colored Pencil Drawing

Peacock - Sacred to the Gods